KEEP THESE THINGS IN MIND
Now that the Centre has allowed everyone above the age of 18 to get vaccinated, there are some things that should keep in mind before, during and after you get the vaccine.
Before the Vaccine
- Register yourself on the Arogya Setu app or CoWin Website (registrations open from Apr 24), keep your documents ready.
- Avoid taking steroids the week before you’re vaccinated or immediately after, since steroids suppress inflammation.
- Sleep well. It is advised to sleep for at least 6 hours prior to vaccination.
- Do no smoke or take alcohol before getting vaccinated.
On the day of
- Don’t take pain relievers. These medications can decrease the vaccine’s effectiveness.
- Stay hydrated. If you are dehydrated, you may experience dizziness and constipation which would compound any mild side effects from the vaccine.
- Wear proper clothing – wear something that gives easy access to your upper arm area
- Use your non dominant arm for vaccination.
After the vaccine
- Avoid alcohol. Even though there is limited date regarding alcohol use and COVID-19 vaccine effectiveness, experts advise caution. If you decide to drink the same day as your vaccine, experts say to make sure you drink responsibly and in moderation.
- Use pain relievers if needed. Id you’re feeling arm pain, soreness, or discomfort after the shot, experts say that it’s likely safe to take pain relievers. Ice packs can also help.
- Do consult your doctor before taking any medication.
Please remember to MASK UP even after your second dose of vaccine – you can still get infected, and you can still carry the virus and spread it to others.